id: sig-20260722-report-cm002
site_id: gb-kidwelly-cydweli-kidwelly
attribute: designation_report
value: 'Reference Number

  CM002

  Name

  Castell Cydweli / Kidwelly Castle

  Date of Designation

  Status

  Designated

  Unitary Authority

  Carmarthenshire

  Community

  Kidwelly

  Easting

  240915

  Northing

  207096

  Broad Class

  Defence

  Site Type

  Castle

  Period

  Medieval

  The monument consists of the remains of a castle, dating to the medieval period situated
  on a prominent ridge at the upper limit of tidal water on the west bank of the River Gwendraeth.
  First built as an earth and timber ringwork in about 1106 by Bishop Roger of Salisbury justicar
  of Henry 1 this early castle took the form of a palisaded crescent shaped earth bank and
  ditch using the natural scarp of the river as a defence on the east and these earthworks
  still define the extent of the castle today. The lordship of Cydweli and the castle had
  by 1139 passed to the de Londres family and then early in the thirteenth century by marriage
  to Walter de Braose and eventually in 1244 to the de Chaworth family. During this, the period
  of the Welsh wars of independence the castle was repeatedly attacked and changed hands several
  times. Possibly first captured and burnt in 1159 by Rhys ap Gruffyd, the Lord Rhys, prince
  of Deheubarth, it was he who was later recorded as making repairs to it in 1190. Having
  returned to norman control in 1201 it was captured and burnt again in 1215 by Rhys Grug,
  son of the Lord Rhys during Llwelyn ab Iorwerth’s campaigns but handed back to the English
  in 1220 at the behest of Llywelyn himself. A ttacked again in 1231 this time by Llywelyn
  it was held by Maerdudd son of Rhys Grug until regained by Patrick de Chaworth in 1244,
  a strengthened castle held out against welsh attack in 1257-58. Pain de Chatworth (d1279)
  after returning from crusade and in his role as Edward I’s commander in chief in south wales
  began the transformation of the castle in the mid 1270’s into a masonry structure. The masonry
  castle comprises a square inner ward with four large corner  round towers and simple portcullis
  gates to north south set within an outer ward, originally defended by the timber palisade,
  later by a stone curtain wall with a series of mural towers and two gates; a small defended
  north gate and a Great Gatehouse on the south.

  The Inner Ward was constructed by Pain de Chaworth conceived to convert the castle into
  a strong ‘concentric’ castle with an inner and outer ring of defences. Later Henry, earl
  of Lancaster acquired the castle through marriage and sometime after 1298 a large first-floor
  hall was built on the on the east side of the ward of which little remains at the present
  day though the chapel which was reached from it stands as a projecting tower overlooking
  the river. This is built with white Sutton-stone mouldings around the doors and windows
  and has a small cruciform roofed building attached on the south which housed the sacristy
  set above the priest’s bedchamber. After 1300 these works were followed by the construction
  of the massive outer curtain, or possibly the raising of a small existing one, with wall
  walk and mural towers and the commencement of work on the Great Gatehouse. In turn this
  necessitated the raising of the inner curtain towers to maintain an effective field of fire.  In
  1361 Henry’s son and successor died without a male heir and by 1399 the castle had passed
  into the hands of the Crown. The Great Gatehouse took at least a century to build, suffering
  several setbacks including a Welsh siege in 1403 during the Glyndwr uprising before being
  finally completed in 1422. Central to the defence of the castle it comprises two projecting
  round towers set either side of a gate passage defended by inner and out gates and portcullises
  and spanned by the main living accommodation of the castle. The towers have blocks to the
  rear east and west; basements functioned as store rooms or prisons and ground floor rooms
  probably housed porters or guards, the east tower also has a beehive- shaped dungeon. The
  living space above comprises a large hall on the first floor with a side kitchen in the
  east tower and a chamber in the west with above the constable or lord’s accommodation; solar,
  chambers, latrines and other rooms. A small room at the front allowed for the raising of
  the outer portcullis as well as having a series of murder holes, it will also have housed
  the mechanism for raising the drawbridge.  Above this and accessible from the battlements
  are three arched ‘machiolations’ for the dropping of missiles. The inner portcullis and
  corresponding series of murder holes were accommodated in the first floor hall. The castle
  was granted to Sir Rhys ap Thomas later in the fifteenth century as part of his reward for
  helping Henry VII secure the throne at Bosworth and possibly as a result the accommodation
  in the castle was improved. A hall was built in the outer ward served by a kitchen added
  to the south west corner of the inner ward along with a  small lodging against the inside
  of the outer curtain and a bakehouse near the north gate . Another rectangular building
  near the north gate may have been intended for further accommodation .In 1630 the castle
  was acquired by the Vaughan family of Golden Grove near Llandeilo, Carmarthenshire, already
  ruinous it  took no part in the Civil War later that century, passing by descent to the
  earls of Cawdor,  in 1927 was taken into State care.

  The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval
  defensive and domestic practices. The monument is well-preserved and an important relic
  of the medieval landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong
  probability of the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits.

  The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related
  evidence may be expected to survive.'
source_url: http://cadwpublic-api.azurewebsites.net/reports/sam/FullReport?lang=en&id=2750
source_title: Scheduled Monument Full Report — Castell Cydweli / Kidwelly Castle
publisher: Cadw
observed_date: '2026-07-22'
collected_by: scripts/build_assessment_batch.py
confidence: high
notes: The designation text. Assess the six bands against THIS evidence only; omit any band
  it does not speak to.
