id: sig-20260722-report-cm003
site_id: gb-laugharne-township-laugharne
attribute: designation_report
value: 'Reference Number

  CM003

  Name

  Laugharne Castle

  Date of Designation

  Status

  Designated

  Unitary Authority

  Carmarthenshire

  Community

  Laugharne Township

  Easting

  230214

  Northing

  210757

  Broad Class

  Defence

  Site Type

  Castle

  Period

  Medieval

  The monument consists of the remains of a castle, dating to the medieval period which stands
  on a low cliff by the side of the Coran stream, overlooking the estuary of the Taf. The
  castle may be one at Abercorram mentioned in about 1116 as the castle of a Robert Courtemain,
  but the first definite reference to the Norman castle is in 1189 when, after the death of
  King Henry II, it was seized by the Lord Rhys, prince of Deheubarth.  It was destroyed by
  Llywelyn the Great in 1215. This early 12th-century castle was probably a ringwork, with
  fortifications and buildings made of wood; traces of an important building of this time
  with a large hearth have been found by excavation.  The castle was remodelled in the second
  half of the 12th century so that the interior of the ringwork was partially filled in and
  new defences were constructed with a large rectangular hall built on the north. By the time
  of a second Welsh attack in 1257 when it was again taken and burnt, the castle was in the
  ownership of the de Brian family and it was Guy de Brian IV who subsequently began the strong
  masonry castle present today later improved and repaired by his successors.

  Two strong round towers, were built on the north side of a surrounding stone curtain wall.
  The north-western tower which has a fine medieval domed roof acted as a keep and protected
  a simple entrance through the curtain to its south.  A new stone hall was built against
  the south curtain wall, and if not already in existence, an outer ward to the north was
  added although probably only with timber defences at this stage.  The defences were further
  strengthened at the end of the 13th century 2when a forward-projecting gatehouse was built
  against the earlier entrance into the inner ward.  Constructed over the earlier ditch, the
  opportunity was taken to incorporate a basement beneath the main entrance passage that has
  a postern at its front to give access to the edge of the inner ward ditch.  In addition,
  a new round tower with deep spurs was built at the south-west corner of the inner ward and
  the defences of the outer ward, including the outer gatehouse, were rebuilt in stone. The
  castle had so far been constructed entirely in red sandstone, but Guy de Brian VII who inherited
  the lordship in 1349 set about improving the overall standard of accommodation using a distinctive
  green stone. The whole south-western corner of the inner ward, including the round tower
  and the inner gatehouse, was considerably heightened. The south-east corner was remodelled,
  and a postern door, giving access out to the estuary, was inserted.  Finally, the outer
  gatehouse was also rebuilt.

  Following Guy de Brian VII’s death in 1390 there followed a long period of decline until
  in 1575 the castle was granted by Elizabeth I to the dignitary Sir John Perrot who was to
  convert it into a comfortable Tudor Mansion, as he did also at his main residence at Carew.
  The old hall against the south curtain wall was completely remodelled and the curtain wall
  heightened with mock battlements.  Ranges of new buildings extended around the south and
  east of the inner ward and, on the north, the curtain wall between the two round towers
  was demolished and replaced by a large rectangular accommodation block with the adjacent
  north east tower heightened. The upper floors of the accommodation block were reached by
  a projecting semi-circular stair tower. The Tudor ranges looked over a central cobbled courtyard,
  on which contemporary accounts record a fountain played.  The inner gatehouse raised to
  its present height and gardens were laid out in the outer ward.

  The castle was slighted in the Civil War and then left as a romantic ruin during the 18th
  century. At the turn of the 19th century, the outer ward was laid with formal gardens, a
  gazebo overlooking the estuary was used in the 1930s and 40s by the author Richard Hughes,
  who leased Castle House during at this time. Taken into state guardianship in the twentieth
  century the site was partially excavated and has been extensively reconsolidated.

  The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval
  defensive practices. The monument is well-preserved and an important relic of the medieval
  landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of
  the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits.

  The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related
  evidence may be expected to survive.'
source_url: http://cadwpublic-api.azurewebsites.net/reports/sam/FullReport?lang=en&id=3078
source_title: Scheduled Monument Full Report — Laugharne Castle
publisher: Cadw
observed_date: '2026-07-22'
collected_by: scripts/build_assessment_batch.py
confidence: high
notes: The designation text. Assess the six bands against THIS evidence only; omit any band
  it does not speak to.
