id: sig-20260722-report-mm003
site_id: gb-chepstow-chepstow
attribute: designation_report
value: 'Reference Number

  MM003

  Name

  Chepstow Castle

  Date of Designation

  Status

  Designated

  Unitary Authority

  Monmouthshire

  Community

  Chepstow

  Easting

  353352

  Northing

  194109

  Broad Class

  Defence

  Site Type

  Castle

  Period

  Medieval

  The following provides a description of the Scheduled Ancient Monument.

  This monument comprises the remains of a medieval castle begun in 1067 by William fitz Osbern,
  earl of Hereford. It is situated on a limestone promontory on top of tall cliffs overlooking
  the river Wye. The castle dominated the medieval town that developed around its foot; the
  bridge which provided access for travellers into south Wales; and the river which was a
  main highway of the period.

  The oldest building in the castle is the Great Tower. Rectangular and measuring 36m long
  by 14m wide, it dominates the centre of the castle. The tower contains some reused building
  materials, probably brought from the ruins of the Roman town Venta Silurum – modern day
  Caerwent. It was probably used as an audience chamber – a place where the King conducted
  ceremonial or judicial functions.

  Connecting the Upper and Middle Baileys is the gallery, a single-storey building which formed
  a roofed passage. The Upper Bailey is likely to have been the centre of William fitz Osbern’s
  original Norman castle. The end of the Upper Bailey is closed by Marshal’s Tower – a two
  storey rectangular tower built by William Marshal (d. 1219) in the very early thirteenth
  century. The first floor contains the remains of an elegant chamber lit by five finely dressed
  windows.

  Beyond the Upper Bailey gateway is a small defended platform which crosses a deep, rock-cut
  ditch to the Upper Barbican. This ditch marks the western limit of the castle under the
  Normans and William Marshal. The heavily defended Upper Barbican was created in the second
  quarter of the thirteenth century when the defensive line was extended further along the
  promontory to the west. The curtain wall runs from Marshal’s Tower in the Upper Bailey across
  the ditch to the south-west tower. From the south-west tower the curtain wall curves around
  to the Upper Gatehouse. From this gatehouse access there was access to the castle’s gardens
  and the home farm. The curtain wall continues to cut off the end of the promontory and returns
  for a short length to deter any attackers from clambering around the cliff into the castle.

  The walls and towers of the Middle Bailey were added to the castle by William Marshal in
  the late twelfth century as part of his complete remodelling of the castle’s defences. However,
  the break in slope near the centre of this bailey may mark the position of the western defences
  of the Norman castle. The entrance to the Middle Bailey is through a simple gateway in the
  curtain wall which is protected by a three-storey D-shaped tower projecting forward from
  the curtain wall. A low curtain wall links this tower to another of very similar design
  at the outer angle of the middle bailey, but this was significantly modified with the insertion
  of fireplaces and doorways during the early sixteenth century. The curtain wall returns
  from the corner tower to a D-shaped tower – modified during the Civil War. The Middle Bailey
  does not seem to have contained any buildings in the Middle Ages, perhaps because they would
  have reduced the grandeur of the approach to the main entrance of the great tower.

  The Lower Bailey is the most complicated part of the castle with buildings of many different
  periods represented. The bailey was added to the castle by William Marshal in the late twelfth
  century and substantially remodelled by Roger Bigod a hundred years later with the construction
  of a large domestic range and Marten’s Tower. Bigod developed a suite of apartments and
  lodgings appropriate for one of the richest magnates of King Edward I’s reign. The domestic
  range consisted of two adjoining blocks linked by a central service passage, built to take
  advantage of the changes in height across the site. The hall and ceremonial and private
  chambers of the earl occupied the higher ground to the west, and the service rooms, kitchen
  and additional accommodation were constructed below. The earl’s chamber (known as the ‘gloriette’)
  was situated above the service rooms. This room would have been a combination of bedchamber,
  a private sitting room and an audience chamber. To earn the name gloriette, this chamber
  must have been very special or exotic.

  Close to the entrance of the castle, Marten’s Tower, or the ‘New Tower’ as it was referred
  to in Roger Bigod’s accounts, was started around 1288 and brought into use by 1293. It was
  begun after the earl’s domestic apartments had been completed and almost certainly replaced
  an earlier tower dating from the Marshal period. Marten’s Tower has been described as a
  ‘mural tower to end all mural towers’, but it is far more than a simple defensive work.
  In addition to the three storeys visible from the courtyard, there is a basement, a room
  in the roof space and a private chapel carried out over the curtain wall to the east. The
  castle well is just alongside the door.

  The Main Gatehouse is of revolutionary design. It consists of two round towers of slightly
  different diameter built close together and well equipped with arrowloops to provide a wide
  field of fire. Outside there was a small barbican which further protected the entrance.
  The round tower to the left was the castle’s prison and that to the right was a guardroom.
  This is thought to be the oldest twin-towered gatehouse in Britain and demonstrates that
  William Marshal and his master craftsmen were at the forefront of castle design, building
  on their experiences in France and the Holy Land.

  A number of wooden doors have survived at Chepstow Castle and these have been dated using
  dendrochronology (tree-ring dating). The doors in the upper and middle bailey gateways at
  Chepstow are made of two layers of elm and oak boards, clenched together with a regular
  pattern of iron nails. At over 800 years old, they are believed to be the oldest castle
  doors surviving in Europe.

  This monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval
  social and domestic life and warfare. The scheduled area comprises the remains described
  and an area around them within which related evidence may be expected to survive.'
source_url: http://cadwpublic-api.azurewebsites.net/reports/sam/FullReport?lang=en&id=3137
source_title: Scheduled Monument Full Report — Chepstow Castle
publisher: Cadw
observed_date: '2026-07-22'
collected_by: scripts/build_assessment_batch.py
confidence: high
notes: The designation text. Assess the six bands against THIS evidence only; omit any band
  it does not speak to.
