id: sig-20260722-report-mm015
site_id: gb-shirenewton-cas-troggy
attribute: designation_report
value: 'Reference Number

  MM015

  Name

  Cas Troggy Castle

  Date of Designation

  11/01/1926

  Status

  Designated

  Unitary Authority

  Monmouthshire

  Community

  Shirenewton

  Easting

  341503

  Northing

  195203

  Broad Class

  Defence

  Site Type

  Castle

  Period

  Medieval

  The monument consists of the upstanding masonry remains and earthworks of a medieval castle
  begun for Roger Bigod III, Earl of Norfolk and Lord of Striguil (Chepstow) by 1303 on land
  acquired from the monks of Tintern Abbey and almost certainly abandoned soon after his death
  in 1306.

  The surviving remains comprise a rectangular platform measuring 42m N/S by 27m E/W set on
  low ground close to a stream. There is a large pond on lower ground to the southern side
  of the platform but otherwise no sign of a moat on its other sides, in spite of the Cas
  Troggy Brook running immediately to its north. The southern side of the platform is occupied
  by the substantial ruin of a of a hall block with massive towers polygonal of typical ‘Edwardian’
  construction at its SW and SE corners. All of the surviving external wall faces are of sandstone
  ashlar, best seen in the impressive battered base of the curtain wall forming the northern
  side of the hall. The hall was at first floor level above an undercroft at western end of
  the block. It survives to a height of 6 to 7m above the court, to the top of the pointed
  relieving arches of two tall windows, both reduced to a single precarious course of masonry
  and missing all of their dressed stone. The wall between them has largely collapsed at this
  level and may originally have contained a fireplace. The polygonal W tower has largely been
  reduced to a substantial mound of rubble that must encase most of its lower storey, and
  the a fragment of a polygonal or rectangular stair turret to the east, the toothing of which
  survives on the face of the curtain wall. The external walls of this tower still stood at
  least two storeys higher when recorded by artists in the 19th century and contained comfortable
  chambers and windows with seats on both upper floors. A huge articulated section of its
  northern appears to lie where it has fallen into the pond to the north and is likely to
  retain intact structural details. The western tower was also polygonal internally and although
  almost all of its outer facings have been lost was likely to have had a similar external
  trace. It may have been entered via a door and short passage in the thickness of the curtain
  wall a few metres to the east, the bases of which survive. The ground or first floor room
  is features but retains its wall facings to a height of 2 or 3m; the wall heads are at least
  5m above external ground level. There are signs of a very ruined turret extending W along
  the curtain wall to mirror that of the W tower and a large rectangular latrine turret projecting
  N along the lost E curtain wall. This retains a monumental outlet arch of a scale equal
  to that for the Great Gatehouse latrine at nearby Llangibby and which would have enabled
  a cart to be backed in for cleaning it out. This leads to a huge and high L-shaped cess
  pit with a bipartite vaulted roof into which four shafts discharged, indicating at least
  two storeys above the present. The northern ranges of the courtyard seems to have been less
  substantially constructed and have largely been reduced to mounds of collapsed masonry,
  but were evidently enclosed by a curtain wall and contained several other rectangular buildings.
  There are no signs of a gatehouse or other towers.

  The monument is of national importance as a closely dated and well preserved caste of the
  early fourteenth century date high potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval domestic
  and defensive architecture. In spite of its military trappings it was effectively a fortified
  hunting lodge on the northern edge of Wentwood Forest serving Roger Bigod’s set at Chepstow.
  Its massive corner towers and curtain walls contrast with significant weaknesses presented
  by the lack of serious defences for the remainder of the site, the huge latrine outlet to
  the eastern tower and large hall windows. It shares group value with a serious of other
  palatial high status castle buildings constructed throughout Wales and the Marches by the
  Crown and Marcher Lords at the end of the final Edwardian Conquest, nearby examples including
  Roger Bigod’s hall, solar and Marten’s Tower at Chepstow and Gilbert de Clare’s nearby Llangibby.
  These. These were deliberately designed as statements of rank, wealth and lordship and provided
  lavish, often occasional accommodation for their lords and entourages, enclosed in imposing
  defences dressed in the latest architectural forms and motifs. Cas Troggy is likely to retain
  extensive intact buried structural remains and associated archaeological deposits that will
  provide evidence of its construction, development and use. It is of particular interest
  due to its probable limited period of use and function as a hunting seat and holds high
  potential to retain closely dated artefactual and environmental evidence that may enhance
  our knowledge of regional material culture and of medieval hunting and feasting. Cas Troggy
  is a well-preserved an important relic of the broader medieval landscape and shares group
  value with the more modest surviving castles and manors that exploited Wentwood Forest.

  The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related
  evidence may be expected to survive.'
source_url: http://cadwpublic-api.azurewebsites.net/reports/sam/FullReport?lang=en&id=2960
source_title: Scheduled Monument Full Report — Cas Troggy Castle
publisher: Cadw
observed_date: '2026-07-22'
collected_by: scripts/build_assessment_batch.py
confidence: high
notes: The designation text. Assess the six bands against THIS evidence only; omit any band
  it does not speak to.
