id: sig-20260722-report-pe002
site_id: gb-cilgerran-cilgerran
attribute: designation_report
value: 'Reference Number

  PE002

  Name

  Castell Cilgerran

  Date of Designation

  Status

  Designated

  Unitary Authority

  Pembrokeshire

  Community

  Cilgerran

  Easting

  219493

  Northing

  243117

  Broad Class

  Defence

  Site Type

  Castle

  Period

  Medieval

  The following provides a general description of the Scheduled Monument.

  The monument consists of the remains of a castle, dating to the medieval period. Cilgerran
  castle is situated on a precipitous rocky promontory above the River Teifi. It comprises
  an outer ward separated by a defensive ditch from an inner ward defended by two strong towers
  and a main gatehouse. The castle may be the site of ‘Cenarth Bychan’ where a Welsh attack
  of 1109 resulted in Nest the wife of Gerald of Windsor absconding with Owain the son of
  the Prince of Powys. The name is first mentioned in 1164, when captured by the Lord Rhys.  It
  was recaptured by William Marshal, Earl of Pembroke, in 1204 and then retaken by the Welsh
  during Llewellyn the Great''s campaigns during 1215.  William''s son, another William, regained
  control eight years later and it is likely the present masonry castle is his work.

  The form of the castle may reflect the earliest earthwork castle as the bank and ditch cutting
  off the promontory and enclosing the outer ward might be the site of the original bailey.  The
  outer ward has a gatehouse surviving as low footings but its date is uncertain. The ward
  wall is a modern rebuild following the collapse of the original wall due to quarrying on
  the cliff below. William fortified The inner ward in stone with two towers and a gatehouse.
  The strong, plain round towers protrude well beyond the curtain wall and the outer defensive
  parts are thicker than the inner, as series of arrow slits are the only openings on the
  outer side. Both towers have a ground floor and three upper storeys. The eastern tower entered
  at first-floor level from the courtyard by a door leading to a newel stair had a separate
  entrance to the ground floor and the upper floors were probably accessed by a trapdoor.
  The west tower originally also had a first-floor entrance this reached by a stair from the
  inner ward. The ground floor must have been reached by a trap door and possibly functioning
  as a strong room or dungeon. Later a door was inserted together with a newel stair to provide
  access to above and a cross wall so that a portion could remain as a strong room. The gatehouse,
  now collapsed, has a gate passage with portcullis grooves and draw bar holes. Above was
  a vaulted room, perhaps a chapel, and above this a passage in the curtain wall connected
  with the two round towers, these could also be reached from the curtain wall walk. Along
  the northeast and northwest sides of the inner ward the curtain wall and the remains of
  buildings date to the second half of the thirteenth century by which time the castle had
  passed through marriage from the Marshalls first to the de Cantelupes and then to the Hastings
  family. Footings remain of a hall and private apartments and a kitchen against the west
  wall.

  In the 1370s an invasion from France was feared, and Edward III ordered that the now rather
  derelict castle be refortified and a large tower at the northwest corner probably belongs
  to this period. After 1389, when the Hastings family died out, the castle passed to the
  crown.  It may have been captured and held for a short time in 1405 during Glyndwr’s wars
  of independence, it was certainly damaged during the attack.  After that the castle''s active
  military service came to an end.  In the Tudor period, the Vaughan family were granted the
  castle by Henry VII, and they continued to occupy it until the early 17th century, when
  they built a new house nearby.  The castle fell into ruin, but its picturesque setting made
  it an early favourite among tourists, who from the 18th century, could visit by boat from
  Cardigan.

  The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval
  defensive practices. The monument is well-preserved and an important relic of the medieval
  landscape. It retains significant archaeological potential, with a strong probability of
  the presence of both structural evidence and intact associated deposits.

  The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related
  evidence may be expected to survive.'
source_url: http://cadwpublic-api.azurewebsites.net/reports/sam/FullReport?lang=en&id=3057
source_title: Scheduled Monument Full Report — Castell Cilgerran
publisher: Cadw
observed_date: '2026-07-22'
collected_by: scripts/build_assessment_batch.py
confidence: high
notes: The designation text. Assess the six bands against THIS evidence only; omit any band
  it does not speak to.
