id: sig-20260722-report-pe024
site_id: gb-llawhaden-llawhaden
attribute: designation_report
value: 'Reference Number

  PE024

  Name

  Llawhaden Castle

  Date of Designation

  22/07/1981

  Status

  Designated

  Unitary Authority

  Pembrokeshire

  Community

  Llawhaden

  Easting

  207292

  Northing

  217452

  Broad Class

  Defence

  Site Type

  Castle

  Period

  Medieval

  The monument consists of the remains of a castle, dating to the medieval period situated
  on the highest ground between the upper reaches of Milford Haven and the Preselli Hills
  in a commanding position above the steep west side of the Eastern Cleddau valley. The site
  of an early motte and bailey timber castle on the frontier Landsker line between Norman
  and Flemish settlers and the Welsh it was probably established after 1115 by Bishop Bernard
  on lands forming part of the estates of the bishops of St Davids. Taken and destroyed by
  the Lord Rhys in 1192 it was not recovered until the early 13th century when it was then
  re-fortified in stone. In the late thirteenth and early fourteenth centuries the castle
  was transformed into a fortified mansion as a residence for the bishops of St David’s, possibly
  during the episcopate of Bishop Thomas Bek (1280-93). Later in the in the third quarter
  of the fourteenth century the castle underwent a major new programme of construction under
  Bishop Adam de Houghton (1362-89) designed by master mason John Fawle who became the castle
  constable, the castle remains today largely date from this period. The Bishops of St Davids
  involvement with the castle continued until Bishop William Barlow (1536-48) stripped the
  lead from the roofs from which point it fell into decay.

  The castle consists of an entrance gatehouse on the south west, an encircling curtain wall
  on the south with two projecting towers east of the gatehouse, the north side of the castle
  being formed by a great hall that has cross wings attached at either side. The courtyard
  created by these buildings has on the south side against the curtain a chapel and series
  of accommodation apartments and on the west a later bakehouse.

  The early castle earthworks, ringwork and rock cut ditch survive as the moat and in a truncated
  form the foundation earthwork of the castle walls.  Visible remains of the early thirteenth
  century stone castle are limited to the footing of a round tower measuring 8.5m in diameter
  on the west side behind the gatehouse which formed the heart of the early castle together
  with the footings of another small circular tower north east of this, partial sections of
  the original encircling curtain wall, built in short straight sections, also survive incorporated
  into later structures. Immediately behind the eastern half of the gatehouse is a square
  tower containing four latrine shafts that is slightly later 13th century work.

  The gatehouse has two D-shaped towers set on deeply spurred bases with arrow slits. These
  are joined above the gate passage by a segmental arch. The upper half of the gatehouse is
  decorated with band of purple Caerbwdy stone and has three large trefoil headed windows
  with mullions and transoms. Located above the drawbridge below and above the central window
  was a defensive machicolation gallery. Three arched openings supported on central lion’s
  head corbels and springer’s to either side serving as ‘murder holes’. The gatehouse has
  a single portcullis slot and to either side of the entrance are vaulted cellar guardhouses
  above which were a number of spacious and well lit stone vaulted rooms some with fireplaces
  and window seats. The gatehouse will have formed the constable’s apartments.

  The hall block of freestanding construction had its principle rooms on the first floor built
  above a vaulted undercroft containing store rooms. Cross wings flanked either side of a
  central range measuring 24m long by 7m, each one projecting over the edge of the moat ditch.
  On the courtyard side a large triple chamfered door arch at the centre of the range led
  to the main undercroft lit by three cusped single light windows. In the western corner of
  the undercroft is a doorway giving access to a spiral stair to the hall above. The doorway
  was above and to the left of the undercroft door approached by stone steps rising from the
  left; the step line was later re-orientated to accommodate the bakehouse. There is evidence
  for a wooden porch structure to both doors. The hall cross wings each had an independent
  vaulted undercroft, the one to the left may have been a kitchen linked through service rooms
  to the hall, a spiral staircase connected the two storeys. The upper floor of the one to
  the right served as the bishop’s solar or private chamber and has a broad window overlooking
  what would have been the castle gardens. The window is flanked by two small antechambers
  with latrines set within the thickness of the walls.

  On the east of the courtyard set against the curtain are the remains of the castle chapel
  distinguished from the outside by a line of three windows with dressings of Caerbwdy stone.
  The entrance was by a first floor doorway fronted by a slender porch and stair; the outer
  doorway has deeply moulded jambs and a rectangular projecting hood, the label stops of which
  are a crowned male head and a female head with wimple head-dress considered possibly to
  be Bishop Adam de Houghton’s patrons John of Gaunt and his wife Blanche. A curving stairway
  led to the pointed arch doorway of the chapel. From there a spiral stair leads to small
  isolated rooms above the porch that probably housed the bishop’s exchequer. The porch as
  a whole rises above the roof tops and curtain wall and was probably intended to facilitate
  views over the entire estate. The chapel is connected to the easternmost projecting polygonal
  tower, built out over the ditch which along with its companion had a primary purpose to
  provide service rooms and latrines rather than to have a defensive role.  The ground floor
  is reached down a flight of stone steps and is lit by two rectangular slit windows set high
  up in deep embrasures. In the centre of the floor is a hole, the only access to a deep rock
  cut dungeon as the room served as a prison.  In the floor above the octagonal room has a
  domed roof and access from the rear of the chapel, it may have acted as a vestry or chaplains
  chamber. A stairway and passage within the walls led to the uppermost chamber, independent
  of the chapel, the room has an octagonal groined vault and may have served as a treasury
  or for keeping court records. A continuation of the stair provided access to the wall walk
  and a continuation of the passage may have led across the curtain to the bishop’s chamber
  in the hall block.

  On either side of the main gatehouse are large rooms over vaulted basements. The eastern
  rooms are on two floors built in two sections each over an undercroft and probably served
  as apartments for guests. There were four upper chambers in all, one to each storey in both
  of the sections. The rooms had a fireplace and the main windows faced out into the courtyard.
  There are two small windows high in the curtain all, set in deep embrasures with window
  seats. Access to the rooms was via a stone spiral stair from the centre of the northern
  wall. The apartments were connected to the western or closet tower built out over the ditch.  Internally
  the tower is divided down the middle by a spine wall and on either side of this on both
  levels are identical vaulted rooms lit by cross-loops, probably closets or small bed chambers.
  A passage leads from each room to a latrine whose shaft runs down the middle of the spine
  wall. The western rooms above the undercroft had two windows opening into the courtyard
  and may have provided accommodation for the garrison.

  Within the courtyard is the castle well, cut down to a depth of over 30 metres and on the
  western side projecting from the  north west end of the hall range is the late medieval
  addition of a bakehouse, the base of one of the ovens visible towards the south end.

  The monument is of national importance for its potential to enhance our knowledge of medieval
  of high status settlement organisation, domestic and  defensive  practices. The monument
  is well-preserved and an important relic of the medieval landscape It retains significant
  archaeological potential, with a strong probability of the presence of associated archaeological
  features and deposits.  The structure itself may be expected to contain archaeological information
  concerning chronology and building techniques.

  The scheduled area comprises the remains described and areas around them within which related
  evidence may be expected to survive.'
source_url: http://cadwpublic-api.azurewebsites.net/reports/sam/FullReport?lang=en&id=482
source_title: Scheduled Monument Full Report — Llawhaden Castle
publisher: Cadw
observed_date: '2026-07-22'
collected_by: scripts/build_assessment_batch.py
confidence: high
notes: The designation text. Assess the six bands against THIS evidence only; omit any band
  it does not speak to.
